Black Island Battery |
Camp Buist |
Fort Bull (2) |
Fort Chatfield |
Folly Island Batteries | Fort Green | Camp at Grimball Plantation | James Island Batteries
Fort Lamar | Long Island Batteries | Fort Morris | Morris Island Batteries
Mt. Pleasant Batteries | Palmetto Fort (3) | Fort Pemberton | Fort Pickens (2) | Fort Putnam
Battery (Fort) Ripley | Camp Seymour | Fort Shaw | Fort Strong | Sullivan's Island Batteries
Tower Battery | Fort Trenholm | Camp Truesdale | Battery (Fort) Wagner (2)
Fort Washington | West Charleston Batteries
(INDIVIDUAL BATTERIES NOT INDEXED)
North Coastal South Carolina - page 1 | Greater Charleston Area I - page 2
Port Royal Sound Area - page 4 | Interior South Carolina - page 5
SOUTH CAROLINA HISTORY TRAIL
Civil War Defenses of Charleston
CSA earthwork batteries (1863 - 1865) were located along the Ashley and Cooper River banks: Battery Godberry at Cannon Street and Westcott Court (no trace), Battery Waring at Tradd Street and Murray Blvd. (no trace, present-day USCG Station), Vanderhorst Wharf Battery at Vanderhorst Wharf (no trace), Frazier's Wharf Battery at Market and Concord Streets (no trace), Laurens Street Battery at Laurens and Concord Streets (no trace), now the Charleston Maritime Center, Calhoun Street Battery at Calhoun and Concord Streets (no trace), now the SC Aquarium, Battery Augustus Smith (aka Half-Moon #1) at Amherst and Drake Streets (no trace), and Battery James (aka Half-Moon #2) at Cooper and Drake Streets (no trace).
Charleston South Battery (see separate listing on page 2).
Charleston Neck Line (1863 - 1865), CSA earthworks across King and Meeting Streets from Adverse Cemetery to Magnolia Cemetery. No traces remain.
Shutes Folly Island
Castle Pinckney (see separate listing on page 2).
Hobcaw Point Battery (2), a CSA work off of Third Ave., which is actually on Remley Point. Traces may still remain.
Hog Island Battery, a CSA work located at present-day Patriots Point Golf Course. No remains.
Haddrell's Point Battery (2) (or Hibben Street Battery) (1861), a CSA work located near the mouth of Shem Creek, below Hibben and Beach Streets. Traces may still remain.
Battery Gary (1862 - 1865), originally Mount Pleasant Battery, a CSA two-gun work located at the end of Middle Street. No remains. Site of a Patriot battery in 1780 (see page 2).
Kinloch's Landing Battery (aka Fort 1), a CSA work northeast of Battery Gary (Fiddlers Marsh area on Conch Creek).
Venning's Landing Battery (aka Fort 2), a CSA work northeast of Kinloch's (end of Old Landing Road).
Elliott's Creek - Copahee Sound Line (1863 - 1865), a line of CSA earthworks running east of Boone Hall Plantation to present-day Palmetto Fort, running parallel to (northeast of) Six Mile Road. Traces may still remain.
Palmetto Fort (3) (1863 - 1865), the southern anchor of the Elliott's Creek line, located in the Palmetto Fort area (West Palmetto Fort Drive). Still exists in excellent condition. S.C. Battleground Preservation Trust
Battery (Fort) Marshall (1863 - 1865), a CSA 14-gun work located on the eastern end of the island at Breach Inlet. No remains.
Batteries One, Two, Three, Four (1863 - 1865), CSA two-gun works located east of Battery Beauregard. No remains.
Battery (Fort) Beauregard (1) (1862 - 1865), a CSA 12-gun work located just east of Fort Moultrie. No remains.
Battery Rutledge (1862 - 1865), a CSA work located between Fort Moultrie and Fort Beauregard. No remains.
Fort Moultrie (see separate listing on page 2).
Located west of Fort Moultrie were CSA Cove Battery, Battery Bee (11 guns), Battery Marion (all 1862 - 1865, no traces remain), and the Floating Battery (1861 - 1863), an iron-clad floating gun platform. The Floating Battery was moved to Morris Island in 1863 (see below).
CSA batteries adjacent to Fort Moultrie used in the opening rounds against Fort Sumter in 1861 included Dahlgren Battery, Enfilade Battery (1), and Mortar Battery, as well as the Floating Battery.
CSA Palmetto Battery (2) (1862 - 1865), undetermined location. No remains.
CSA Fort Washington (1861), undetermined location. A lookout tower manned by the local "Washington Light Infantry".
CSA Camp Truesdale (date ?), somewhere at the east end of the island.
Sullivan's Island was occupied by the Union in February 1865.
Middle Ground Shoal:
Battery (Fort) Ripley (1862 - 1865), a CSA two-gun work built on a log cribwork and faced with palmetto logs. No remains. A lighthouse was built 500 feet southeast of the site in 1878, replaced with a buoy in 1932.
South Channel Shoal:
Fort Sumter (see separate listing on page 2).
Battery Simkins (1861, 1863 - 1865), a CSA shore battery located southeast of Fort Johnson. Used in the opening rounds against Fort Sumter, it was then abandoned, but rebuilt in 1863. No remains.
Battery Cheves (1863 - 1865), a CSA four-gun battery and powder magazine located inland, west of Battery Simkins. Remnants still exist on Robert E. Lee Blvd. in Fort Johnson Estates. S.C. Battleground Preservation Trust
Fort Johnson (see separate listing on page 2).
West of Fort Johnson along the shore were CSA Battery Harleston (four guns) remnants exist, Battery Wampler on Wampler Road, no remains, Battery Tyers, and Battery Glover (three guns) (possibly aka Battery Styles) traces exist at end of Old Plantation Road (all 1863 - 1865).
CSA batteries located along Schooner Creek and Clark Sound protecting the rear flank of Fort Johnson included Battery Haskell (trace remains on Schooner Road at Parrot Point), Battery Tatum (still exists near Grimsley Drive), Battery Ryan Left, Battery Ryan Right (traces on Farm Road) (all 1863 - 1865).
CSA Battery Haig (1) and Battery Palmer (both 1863 - 1865) were located on a secondary line running north from Clark's Point along Oceanview Road to Dills Bluff Road. This line (Eastern James Island Line) included five other unnamed batteries (all 1861 - 1862), several of which still exist, including Redoubt Five, Redoubt Six, and Redoubt Three (on Five Oaks Drive in Patriot Plantation, east of Oceanview Road).
Battery Reed (1862 - 1865) (two-guns) on Stone Post Road (no remains). Originally named Enfilade Battery (2).
Clark Sound Battery (1862 - 1863), an otherwise unnamed CSA work located in the Quail Hollow subdivision off of Fort Johnson Road, east of Secessionville Road. Not marked on period maps, probably an infantry parapet. Still exists, overgrown.
CSA Bridge Neck Battery (no remains) was located northeast of Fort Lamar.
Fort Lamar (State Heritage Preserve) (1862 - 1865), a CSA six-gun earthwork at Secessionville. Originally named Tower Battery until 1864. Nicknamed Battery Crossfire by the Union. The Battle of Secessionville was in June 1862. Remnants still exist, bisected by Fort Lamar Road.
CSA works that were part of the New James Island Line (1863 - 1865) included Battery Pringle (still exists, west of Riverland Drive on the Stono River, north of Grimball Shores), Battery Tynes (still exists just north of Battery Pringle, east of the mouth of James Island (Newtown) Creek), and Battery Leroy (traces exist east of Battery Pringle, along Riverland Drive); and Batteries 1, 2, 3, 4, and Battery 5 in a line from Battery Leroy to Fort Lamar, all of which still exist to some degree. Battery 5 is located in the Stonefield area, and Batteries 1 and 2 are easily accessible off of Riverland Drive. Traces of the CSA Cross Road Line still exist along Secessionville Road south of Fort Johnson Road.
New Lines Breastworks (1863 - 1865), extant infantry works located in Seaside Plantation.
Camp at Grimball Plantation (1862), a Union encampment at the Thomas Grimball Plantation prior to the action at Secessionville (June 1862). Located on the Stono River at Grimball Farm Lane.
Fort Pemberton (1862 - 1865), a CSA 20-gun fort on the Stono River at Elliot's Cut to Wappoo Creek. Still exists at Riverland Terrace (Fort Pemberton Drive), although partially developed. S.C. Battleground Preservation Trust
An unnamed battery (still extant) is located on the Stono River just north of Fort Pemberton. It may possibly date from the 1780 British occupation of James Island.
Western James Island Line (1862 - 1865), a line of four unnamed CSA batteries located along Fleming Road between Maybank Highway (SC 700) and Central Park Road. Traces still exist.
Battery Means (1863 - 1865), a CSA work located on the south side of the mouth of Wappoo Creek at the Ashley River. Some remains.
Black Island Battery (1863 - 1865), a CSA work that was uncompleted in 1863, and then taken over by Union forces. Located southwest of the Swamp Angel Battery site.
Battery (Fort) Gregg, originally CSA Cumming's Point Battery (1860 - 1861) (actually composed of two mortar batteries, the three-gun Blakely Battery, Trapier Battery, and the three-gun Ironclad Battery), used in the opening rounds against Fort Sumter, then later rebuilt and renamed (1862 - 1863) (five guns). It was captured by the Union in September 1863 and renamed Fort Putnam (1863 - 1865) (two guns). Adjacent to it was built Union Fort Chatfield, comprised of Battery Kirby (2) and Battery Stevens (2) (two guns). (FORT WIKI)
Battery (Fort) Wagner (2) (1862 - 1863) a CSA 14-gun earthen fort near the north end of the island. Originally known as Neck Battery, then renamed. The Union took control of this fort in September 1863 and was renamed Fort Strong in October 1863, used until 1865. (FORT WIKI)
Vincent's Creek Battery (1863), the CSA's Floating Battery that was moved to the mouth of Vincent's Creek, north of the Swamp Angel Battery site, to support Battery Wagner. It was never completed, and was abandoned in place.
Union seige batteries involved in the 1863 assault on Battery Wagner were, south to north: the Left Batteries comprised of Batteries Kirby (1) (two guns), Strong (one gun), Stevens (1) (two guns), O'Rorke (five guns), Reno (three guns), Hays (eight to 13 guns in five detached positions), and the Advanced Gun (one gun); First Parallel (comprised of Batteries Weed (five guns), Naval Battery (four guns), and Reynolds (five guns)), Second Parallel (comprised of Batteries Kearny (six guns), Brown (two guns), Meade (two guns), Rosecrans (three guns), and Surf Battery (two guns)), Third Parallel, Fourth Parallel, and Fifth Parallel.
Southwest of Battery Wagner in the marsh was Union Swamp Angel Battery (one gun) (1863), later renamed Marsh Battery (two guns) (1863 - 1865). Site is preserved and marked, although there are no actual remains of the battery.
Fort Morris (1860 - 1861), a CSA four-gun work located north of the lighthouse and Lazaretto. Also known as the Star of the West Battery, as this was the battery that fired upon the relief ship to Fort Sumter in January 1861. Abandoned after Fort Sumter fell.
Lighthouse Inlet Batteries (CSA) (1862 - 1863), Confederate batteries located on the southern end of the island near the old lighthouse (1767 - 1862), prior to the Union assault, which included ten unnamed positions for 11 total guns. Sometimes referred to as Battery Mitchel.
Fort Shaw (1863 - 1865), a Union work located at the southern end of the island at Lighthouse Inlet.
Battery Purviance (1863 - 1865), a Union work located on Oyster Point, just west of Fort Shaw. Previously the location of several CSA rifle pits (1863).
Morris Island was captured by the Union in stages from July to September 1863.
No remains of any kind for any work can be found on Morris Island, which has been severely eroded over the years. The current lighthouse was built in 1874, now awash in the tides since 1935, but still standing.
Two unnamed Union works (Forts 1 and 2) (1863 - 1865) were located on the western and eastern ends of the island.
Fort Pickens (2) (1861 - 1862), a small CSA five-gun work that was abandoned when Coles Island was also abandoned. Traces still remain. The island, located on the Stono River two miles upriver from the mouth, was used by the Union during the assault on James Island in 1863.
Batteries One, Two, Three (1861 - 1862), CSA works, no remains.
Fort Palmetto (1) (see separate listing on page 2), also known as CSA Battery Seven (1861 - 1862).
Batteries Four, Five, Six, Eight, Nine (1861 - 1862), CSA works, no remains.
Fort Green (1863 - 1865), a Union fort located on the eastern end of the island at Lighthouse Inlet. No remains. This fort replaced 10 separate unnamed batteries (total 44 guns) that were built to assault Morris Island in July 1863 (Lighthouse Inlet Batteries (USA)). Batteries I and J still exist. The site was owned by the U.S. Coast Guard until 1995, now an undeveloped county park (no vehicular access).
Camp Seymour (1863), a Union encampment prior to the assault on Morris Island.
Battery (Fort) Delafield (1863 - 1865), a Union work located on the western end of the island at Stono Inlet. No remains.
Battery Mahan (1863), a Union work just north of Battery Delafield on the Folly River.
Fort Trenholm (1864 - 1865), a CSA 17-gun earthwork fort on the west bank of the Stono River. Still extant, but partially destroyed (southeast bastion gone) during airport construction in the 1940's. Site off of Fort Trenholm Road at the northeast corner of the Johns Island / Charleston Executive Airport runway. Archaeological digs have been conducted.
Camp Buist (1862), a CSA camp. Undetermined location.
Battery (Fort) Barnes (1861 - 1863), a CSA work located in the St. Andrews area, just north of present-day US 17 and SC 61. No remains.
Battery (Fort) Gladden (1861 - 1863), a CSA work located in the St. Andrews area, just south of present-day US 17 and SC 61. No remains.
Ashley River - Wappoo Creek Line (1863 - 1865), a line of CSA earthworks from present-day Ashleyville to Byrnes Downs, across both St. Andrews Blvd. (SC 171) and Savannah Highway (US 17). Traces may still exist.
Battery Geddes, a CSA work in the Geddes Hall area on the Stono River, off of Wappoo Road near Capri Isles. Still exists.
Battery Haig (2), a CSA work west of Battery Geddes in the Oakland area. Still exists.
An unnamed CSA battery located between Batteries Haig (2) and Wilkes (still extant).
Battery Wilkes (1863 - 1865), two CSA works located along the old Charleston and Savannah Railroad (CSX) and Turnpike Road (Savannah Highway) (present-day US 17) at Long Branch Creek, west of Battery Haig (2). Trace remains (altered) in private yard on Etiwan Ave. in Long Branch Estates.
Battery at Johns Island Ferry, a CSA work on the north side of the Stono River at Johns Island.
Long Branch Creek Battery, an unnamed CSA battery between Wilkes and Magwood on Long Branch Creek, near Shaftsbury Village on Brighton Circle (still extant).
Battery Magwood, a CSA work on a canal south of Battery Gaillard, near the present-day Bon Secours-St. Francis Xavier Hospital (SC 61 Expressway at Magwood Road). No remains.
Battery Gaillard, a CSA work south of Fort Bull (2) on Church Creek (Church Creek area on Old Fort Ave.).
Battery Banks, a CSA work southwest of Fort Bull (2), west of Battery Gaillard, on Church Creek at Bees Ferry Road (SC 57).
Fort Bull (2) (1863 - 1865), a CSA fort south of Bee's Ferry near Old Bees Ferry Road and the CSX railroad (Drayton-on-the-Ashley area). Remnants still extant, hidden by trees along Ashley River Road. A supporting battery was also located north of the river (Evanston Estates area).
An unnamed CSA battery east of Fort Bull (2) across Church Creek at Ashley River Road (SC 61).
North Coastal South Carolina - page 1 | Greater Charleston Area I - page 2
Port Royal Sound Area - page 4 | Interior South Carolina - page 5
QUESTIONS ? Please send any corrections and/or additions to this list to:
"Updates" at NorthAmericanForts.com