Established 1816, Closed 1947
Madison Barracks informational website
Madison Barracks was built following the conclusion of the War of 1812. Incorporating the site of Fort Pike on Black River Bay, the eastern anchor of the Sackets Harbor defensive line, barracks and officers' quarters were built around a square parade ground beginning in 1816. Additional buildings were built in the late 1830's in response to the Patriot's Rebellion in Canada. Abandoned from 1852 - 1861, then used as a training post for recruits. A devastating fire in 1879 destroyed a portion of the Stone Row, the original officers' quarters, and other buildings. Under President Grant, who was once stationed here, a massive rebuilding effort was undertaken. The post was enlarged in 1892 with the addition of the Polo Ground, and several more buildings were constructed along its perimeter in 1905. The post became a major Field Artillery garrison post, with training facilities and firing ranges at Stony Point and Pine Camp (Camp Drum). This was once considered one of the most scenic military posts in the entire country.
Madison Barracks was finally closed in 1947, moving to Camp Drum, which then later became Fort Drum. The community of Sackets Harbor took over ownership of the post, and it is slowly being restored and transformed into a lake-side resort community.
Historical Photographs of Madison Barracks
base map courtesy of Sackets Harbor Historical Society
Map of Madison Barracks.
NCO - Non Commissioned Officers' Quarters; CO - Commanding Officers' Quarters;
T.C. - Modern Tennis Courts; PX - Post Exchange and Gymnasium
Entrance sign to the resort community.
The main (south) gate to the complex, with sentry posts.
The Guardhouse (1897), now used as the Administration Office for the community.
The rear of Stone Row (1816), the restored Officers' Quarters.
Now private housing complexes.
The front of Stone Row.
These were the original structures of the post,
along with two perpendicular rows of Enlisted Men's Barrcks, now long gone.
The rear of Stone Row.
Fire destroyed a portion of these buildings in 1879.
The west gate, with sentry posts.
The building behind is a modern replica of barracks (private housing).
The former burial grounds of the post, near the Fort Pike site.
All graves were moved to the nearby Sackets Harbor Military Cemetery in 1909.
photo by Bill Huff, Jr.
The Stone Water Tower (1892), a landmark here.
It was replaced by a more modern steel tower in 1908.
The former Post Theater (1932).
The former Post Headquarters Building (1905).
The former Post Exchange and Gymnasium Building (1905).
Unknown, probably Enlisted Barracks (1905).
Barracks "B" on map
The "old" Post Hospital (1838).
Former Enlisted Barracks (1905), now private housing.
Barracks "A" on map
Site of old 1830's-era barracks, now used for tennis courts within the brick walls.
site "T.C." on map
Marker for Fort Volunteer (1812).
Earthworks remaining are actually remnants of Fort Pike (1813 - 1815),
which was built over the older work.
Fort Pike earthworks.